VEI started to work with Harare Water Department in 2015 under the Zimfund Phase 2 project as a technical assistant. In 218 a Water Operator’s Partnership under the umbrella of WaterWorX (WWX) started. The impact of the WWX WOP is to contribute positively to SDG6 in Harare. This is done by focusing on improving operational and financial performance, as well as increasing access to and reliability of water supply to all. The current constraints of Harare in order to reach these outcomes by themselves are adverse economic conditions, low (qualified) staffing, political tensions, high Non-Revenue Water (NRW), low service levels and insufficient water coverage.
Currently the WOP is focusing on the following themes:
- Capacity Development, targeting Leadership and Organisational Change through numerous trainings in order to create a working environment with high motivation and shared vision and mission
- Increase of cost coverage ratio, through insight in the water quality data (including chemicals), maintenance program and asset digitization (GIS, asset management software, mWater), reduction of NRW (see 3rd bullet) as well as improving the revenues (see 4th bullet and customer database cleaning)
- Reduction of NRW, by developing a NRW assessment and implementing various NRW reduction activities both at DMA and utility level (e.g. repairing big leaks and re-introducing pressure management, replacing meters)
- Increase quality of customer services and process improvements by hand held readings and focus on top 100 customers
- Implementing a pro-poor approach by connecting low-income households with water, which includes a careful selection of beneficiaries, network design, sensitization and awareness.
- Indirect contribution to new connections, both through increasing operational and financial performance (bullet 1-5) as well as through future investment studies (water distribution and climate resilience plan) and attracting new financiers for Phase 2 and 3 of WWX
For more information please contact:
Robson Manatsa, Resident Project Manager Zimbabwe